Candle vigil and the killing of Panhia Vue in Altoona, Wisconsin


The body of Panhia Vue found in a shed on the backyard of her rented house in Altoona, Wisconsin on June 11, 2013.

On June 30, 2013, family members of Panhia Vue held a gathering for the Hmong community to come together for a candle vigil ceremony to remember Panhia Vue.  Suab Hmong News team was invited by Panhia Vue’s family to participate the candle vigil ceremony and have the permission to follow up on what may happened on the night of June 9, 2013.

Click here to watch Suab Hmong News exclusive covered the place where Panhia Vue murdered and burned.

Below is the latest article on Panhia Vue’s case from

EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) – Prosecutors have filed a murder charge against the man accused of killing the woman he lived with.

A charge of First Degree Intentional Homicide was filed against Ying Xiong, 41, of Altoona on Tuesday. An autopsy says Panhia Vue, 35, of Altoona was strangled to death.

A criminal complaint says Xiong told a deputy that he was sorry that they had to watch him, and that “I’m sorry for what I did, but she did something stupid.” Xiong also told the deputy that he had been married twice before, and both of his wives left him for another man.

The complaint says officers responded to a home on 10th Street West in Altoona on June 11. They found Vue’s body in a shed on the property. She had severe burns on her upper abdomen, and investigators found burn marks in the shed as well.

The complaint goes on to say that Vue and Xiong had domestic problems in the past, and have a five-month-old child together. The owner of the home told investigators that, at one point, Vue kicked Xiong out of the house. A witness told police she heard Xiong and Vue talking in the bedroom of the home on June 9. Other people living there told police that Xiong was drunk that night. They also told police that Xiong took three children to school the next day. Investigators found out that he texted his daughter, saying he was going fishing. Another person living at the house picked up the kids. Investigators say Xiong came home later on June 10, went in the bedroom he had been in with Vue the day before, and locked the door.

The next morning, the complaint says Xiong left the house in a car registered to Vue, swapped it for an SUV in Lake Hallie, and drove to Mosinee. Police tried to stop him, and arrested him after Xiong ran from the SUV. He had more than $19,000 in cash in the car, and investigators later found that there was “a substantial amount of cash” missing from the home on 10th Street West in Altoona.

Xiong is scheduled to be back in court next month. If convicted, he could face life in prison. We’ll have more on this story tonight on WEAU 13 News at 5.